Saturday, October 3, 2015

Memoir: Beyonce's Communication of Feminist Views

I wanted Flawless to empower all of my girls that listen to my music. I wanted my fans to be inspired to speak out towards Feminism, and to pursue their dreams. My African American background influenced me to specifically reach out to the girls within our community. As a young girl I looked up to other African American artists like Diana Ross, Tina Turner or Whitney Houston, and still to this day admire the freedom in their lyrical choices. I feel as though I've achieved that in the lyrics I've written in Flawless, using a sense of attitude to convey my feminist ideals. "Don't think I'm just his little wife", a verse from the song, addresses an issue which is something most woman have struggled with for a while. Although I don't feel the need for competition between men and women, I want women to strive to be the best they can be. My choice of including  one of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's speech was particular as it specifically communicated these ideals in an intelligent, successful way. I completely agreed with the ideas expressed in her speech, as it addresses women as a whole, regardless of race, community or culture. This concept of including all women in Feminism, rather than specific races, really touches heart with me, and I have used my AAVE in my lyrics as a mean to communicate my ideals to the best of my abilities. 

5 comments:

  1. I love this blog post so much, mainly because it's about Beyoncé, but also because you discuss the topic of feminism, which she covers often in her songs, which I think is an extremely important social movement, especially right now. The memoir extract is a little short, but it's concise and to the point, and follows the structure of a memoir. You also use appropriate register; I can definitely imagine Beyoncé using this type of language in an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE how you used quotes from the song in your text and how you related the song to feminism because that's what Beyonce influences the most. Only comment I would make it I highly doubt if Bey was going to write a memoir she would use the term "AAVE" in her text so just try your best to use language that she would use. Great job (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. The memoir showed excellent understanding of the themes of Beyonce's Flawless. The language use is consistently good except it kind of confusingly falls apart on the last sentence when you went into detail of the use of AAVE in the lyrics, which didn't seem to match the rest of the memoir. Otherwise I think you presented the feminist ideas well through the use of the memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading through your creative memoir because of the content and information that is relied in it. Your content is very well related to what we have been studying in class and you used effective language and vocabulary to apply how Beyonce influences our generation with the social issues she tries to eliminate. You have a good organisation even though you could add to your text and try and vary the context.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all the above comments. This extract was very well written, but at half the required word count, it could have shown greater engagement with the topic of language and community.

    ReplyDelete